Gobi Masala | Aloo Gobi Masala
Gobi Masala is an easy and tasty Indian cauliflower recipe prepared in most of Indian parties or restaurants. It is sometimes called as Masala Gobhi or Gobi Masala or even Aloo Ghobi Masala.
This is a lip smacking Cauliflower recipe cooked with Indian spices.
Gobi masala recipe which I am sharing today is a dryer version.
It accompanies well with chapatis or parathas.
Cauliflower itself tastes delicious when cooked with the spices and masala.
This masala coats the ghobi really well giving the tangy and spicy flavour in every bite. If you want little gravy you can add little water too before adding the fried potato and cauliflower.
Go to Gobi Masala Video Recipe
- 2 tsp oil + for frying cauliflower and potatoes
- ½ head of cauliflower cut into florets (around 2 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes diced (around 1 cups)
- ¼ cup frozen green peas thawed (if using fresh see notes)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp or 4-5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger finely chopped
- ½ cup or 2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies(optional)
- ½ cup tomatoes pureed or finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander and cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- 2-3 tbsp fresh curd or cream
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)
Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Deep fry or shallow fry the cauliflower until light golden in colour. Drain and keep aside.
Fry the potatoes same way until light golden. Cauliflower and potatoes should be 70 percent cooked in this step. set aside to use later
Take out excess oil from the pan and add cumin seeds to it.
Ones it crackles add chopped garlic, ginger and onions. Saute for few minutes until onion turns golden.
Now add chopped green chillies and tomato puree. Add salt to it and mix every thing. Cover and cook on slow heat for 2-3 minutes, until tomatoes cooked well.
Add the spices and mix well. Add green peas ,cover and cook on slow flame until the masala starts leaving the oil.
Now add curd and cook for 2 mins stirring continuously.
Add the fried cauliflower and potatoes and kasoori methi.mix well and cover again. Cook on low to medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Lastly add the fresh cilantro (coriander) and serve hot with chapati or paratha.
- Cook the potatoes and cauliflower separately as cauliflower does not take much time to cook.
- If you are shallow frying the cauliflower and potatoes, do not cover otherwise those will steam rather than getting fried and doses not taste as good.
- If using fresh peas add it with the tomatoes so that those will get cooked properly.
- Adjust the spice level according to your preference.
- You can add cream to make curry richer and tastier.
- Use a ‘Large Pan/Pot’ when cooking cauliflower to avoid it from breaking or getting mushy.
Gobi Masala Video Recipe:
Try this Easy Gobi Masala Recipe and let us know how it turned out for you. We would love to hear from you.