Curd Rice Recipe
Curd rice recipe with video and step by step photos. Curd rice is a simple yet delicious meal, which is not only healthy but also good for your stomach. The good bacteria present in the curd are really good for the gut health. Curd-rice is also known as daddojanam or thayir saddam.
This comfort food is one of the easiest recipes from south indian cuisine. I really love curd rice for the following reasons- it tastes great, guilt free and a complete meal on its own. Even if you have upset stomach, it is just perfect to have it, as this is easy on your stomach too.
This can be the best and easiest meal for the summer. It doesn't require so much of cooking and everyone enjoys this chilled food in summer and it also easy on your tummy.
As curd has protein, calcium and other nutrients in it so curd rice makes a very healthy and nutritious meal. It also beats the summer heat and prevents sunstroke.
It is such a great way to use the left-over rice in an easier and healthier way. It is mild yet flavourful dish and you can find it in almost every south indian menu. It is also popular as prasad in temples in south india.
I really prefer to chill the curd rice before serving it, because it tastes better when it’s chilled and all the flavours get enhanced, absorbed and well blended. That is why it just tastes even better after chilling.
Though this tastes great on its own, but you can also serve it with pickle or podi or papad and sliced onions.
If you make this recipe, please let us know how it turned out for you! leave a comment below and share a picture on instagram and tag us. We would love to see your creations.
Go to Curd Rice Video Recipe
- 1 cup boiled and cooled rice.
- 1.5 cups curd/yogurt.
- Salt to taste.
- 1-2 green chilli finely chopped (optional but recommended).
- ---for tempering---.
- 1 tablespoon ghee/oil.
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
- ½ teaspoon urad dal.
- 1 pinch hing.
- 1 green chill slit into half.
- 4-5 cashew nuts (optional).
- 4-5 curry leaves.
Take curd in a bowl, add salt and whisk it well.
Now add boiled and cooled rice and some finely chopped green chillies. Mix everything well and try mashing rice. Now keep it aside.
For tempering, heat oil or ghee in a pan.
Once it is hot add urad dal, mustard seeds, hing, green chilies, some cashew nuts and curry leaves.
Allow the mustard seeds to crackle and fry until dal is golden in colour.
Pour this tempering over the prepared curd and rice mixture. Roughly mix the tempering with the rice and curd mixture.
Garnish with some pomegranate seeds and serve it chilled.
- Using a short grain rice is better for the recipe instead of basmati rice as the gives more creamy and mushy texture.
- Always let the rice cool completely before adding the curd as it may curdle it.
- It is better to use fresh curd, if your curd is sour you can add some milk or sugar to it.
- Home made cud is the best for making curd rice.
- You may also add some chopped cucumber or grated carrots to the recipe. Fresh cilantro (coriander) can be added too.
- If making in winters ginger julienne can also be added.
- Adding tempering to curd rice balances its cold nature.
- If you are vegan, you can make use of any dairy free curd like coconut milk curd or almond or cashew curd.
Curd Rice Video Recipe:
Try this Easy Curd Rice recipe and let us know how it turned out for you. We would love to hear from you.