Tomato soup restaurant style | Delicious tomato soup recipe
Tomato soup is bursting with amazing tomato flavour, even though I made it with canned tomatoes, because that is what I had, but you can definitely use the fresh tomatoes, if you have it in hand. The recipe is so easy and simple as always and it provides classic homemade tomato soup flavour.
Tomato soup or tomato bisque is delicious as it is but adding croutons makes it more like restaurant style. I also shared how to make croutons at home, it only takes few minutes and homemade is the best.
It is gluten free since it does n0t need any flour as thickening agent. It can also easily made vegan, Just switch the butter with olive oil and cashew nuts instead of cream see the notes.
Jump to watch full Step by Step video for Spot Idli Recipe here on YouTube -> Tomato Soup Recipe Step by Step Video
- 1 tsp oil (preferably olive oil)
- 1-2 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 6-inch piece of celery roughly chopped(optional)
- 4-5 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium carrot roughly chopped
- 8-12 tomatoes roughly chopped (I used one and half can)
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp rice or a small potato
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder or according to taste
- 2 bread slices of your choice
Heat the pan and add oil and butter to it.
Add chopped onions, celery, garlic and bay leaf to it. Saute for few minutes until onion turns translucent.
Now add chopped carrots and tomatoes, salt and pepper to it.
Add vegetable stock or water whatever you are using and cook it for 15-20 mins on medium heat until the tomatoes are tender. Alternatively, you can pressure cook it for up to two whistles.
Let it cool a bit. Transfer to a blender jar and grind it to a fine paste.
Pass the pureed tomato paste through a strainer. Though this step is optional but recommended to get a smooth texture of soup.
Add more vegetable stock or water to adjust the consistency of soup, if needed.
Bring it to a boil and cook to get the desired consistency.
Add sugar to balance all the flavours. Check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
Switch off the heat and add the cream at the end.
To make croutons at home-Dice the bread slices into small pieces.
Dry roast on a pan at low to medium heat until they turn crisp and golden.
Flip and repeat on other side. Once done on both sides remove from the pan. Alternatively, you can deep fry these in hot oil or bake in the oven at 185 C for around 15-20 minutes.
Serve it with some croutons on top and a swirl of cream. Enjoy it hot.
- You can turn the same recipe into tomato basil soup, by adding some fresh basil, if you have.
- If you do not want to use cream add a few cashew nuts while boiling the soup. These will become tender with the tomatoes and will give the creamy texture after grinding.
- You can easily double up the recipe to make a big batch.
Try this Easy Tomato Soup Recipe and let us know how it turned out for you. We would love to hear from you.