Beetroot Poha | Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipe
Beetroot poha is an easy and healthy indian breakfast recipe. This healthy and nutritious breakfast can be prepared within 15 minutes. It is made with beaten rice or flatten rice, hence it has good amount of iron and vitamin a and adding beetroot makes it even more nutritious.
The recipe also includes lemon juice which is source of vitamin c that ensures the better absorption of iron, so its a complete package of goodness.
The attractive red color of this poha comes naturally with beetroot, which is considered as a super food.
It is one of the recipes which looks so appealing inspite of being so simple. This beautiful red color catches everyone’s eyes. Adding nuts gives the dish a nice crunch.
I have already shared the recipe of harabhara poha (green masala poha) on my website. These are not only healthy but also attractive, my kids love it too with the lovely vibrant colors. You can even add some more color by adding some pomegranate seeds on top or some sweet corns which gives a nice contrast and interest.
It can be enjoyed as a healthy evening snack or a morning breakfast. It is nutritious and filling either way.
If you make this recipe, please let us know how it turned out for you! leave a comment below and share a picture on instagram and tag us. We would love to see your creations.
- 2 cup thick poha/flattened rice/beaten rice.
- 1 medium beetroot.
- ½-1 teaspoon mustard seeds (black).
- 5-6 curry leaves.
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 tablespoon oil (divided).
- 2 table spoon peanuts.
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts.
- 2 tablespoon raisins.
- 1 small tomato chopped (optional).
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional).
- 2-3 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves (cilantro).
Take thick poha and wash it well with water one or two times. Drain the water and keep it aside. It should turn soft after this step. To check, press a flake between your thumb and index finger, it should break easily.
Peel and grate beetroot with the help of a fine greater preferably and keep aside to use later.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan on medium flame, add peanuts and after few seconds add cashew nuts and raisins and fry them.
Remove it from the pan and keep aside for later use.
Now add remaining 1 tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
Add curry leaves, green chilli and grated beetroots.
Saute for few seconds until becomes little tender.
Now add soaked poha and salt and mix everything gently.
Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on slow heat.
Switch off the flame and add sugar, lemon juice, chopped tomato and fried nuts.
Fold everything gently and again cover for a minute.
Garnish with fresh cilantro (coriander leaves) and serve it hot or pack for the tiffin.
- To make this recipe you can use medium to thick flakes variety. Thin poha is not suitable because it will get mushy.
- You can make this poha with red or white variety of poha whichever ia availble.
- When preparing poha, make sure it is soaked well, check it by pressing a flake, if its breaks then it is good for cooking else sprinkle some more water over it.
- You can also add some peas or corns to make it more nutritious.
- You can also garnish it with fresh coconut or pomegranate if you wish.
Beetroot Poha Video Recipe:
Try this Easy Beetroot Poha recipe and let us know how it turned out for you. We would love to hear from you.