Healthy baked sugar free Gujiya recipe | Healthy Karanji | गुजिया रेसिपी
This healthier version of Gujiya you will surely gona love. Yes these are baked sugar free Gujiyas .Unlike the other baked Gujiya recipe on the internet this recipe will help you to get soft, melt in mouth, delicious Gujiyas even without frying or sugar syrup. The recipe is developed to keep in mind that it would not result in that hard Gujiyas that neither good in texture nor in taste. If you follow the proportion and method correctly you will get the perfectly soft outer covering.
Gujiya is traditionally made during the festive season in India and is one of the most popular sweets of India. Traditionally the Gujiyas are deep fried and sometimes dipped in sugar syrup too. as we are going to bake these here I made the dough accordingly and it is tried and tested many times.
The filling is also different from the traditional one to make it more tastier and healthier. Even though I did not use khoya(mava)still these are soft and moist inside by the natural moisture present in jaggery which melts while baking and so giving these wonderfully great texture and taste. Though you can use khoya if you wish, but these ones are equally delicious and have better self life.
So lets begin with the recipe…
- For outer covering
- 3/4 cup plain flour(maida)
- 3/4cup wheat flour(gehu ka aata)
- 1/3 cup butter(unsalted)
- 1/3 cup water
- A pinch of salt
- For filling
- 1/2 cup fine semolina(suji)
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 1 cup jaggery finely chopped or grated(gur)
- ¼ ghee(clarified butter)
- 2 tbs grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- 2 tbs milk powder(optional)
- 2 tbs almonds chopped
- 2 tbs cashew chopped
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbs pistachio chopped
- 2-3 tbs dates chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- In a large mixing bowl mix together both the flours salt and butter and mix it with your hands until it resembles a bread crumb like texture or you can use food processer to make it easier.
- Now add water little at a time and mix the dough until it just comes together. Do not knead the dough as we do not want the gluten to develop, we just need to combine it till it comes together.
- Cover and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- For the filling heat a pan and add Ghee to it .Once the ghee melts add raisins to it.as soon as it puffs take the raisins out and keep aside.
- Add semolina in the same ghee and roast it on medium heat until it gives a nice aroma and slightly change in colour.
- Add coconut and other dry fruits and roast for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and add jaggery. add raisins and let the mixture cool.
- Now take a small ball out of the dough and roll it to a small puri (circle).
- Put 1-2 tbs of filling on one side of the puri, apply water on the sides and fold it in to half making half circle shaped dumplings.
- Shape all the gujiyas similarly and arrange in a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush some melted butter or ghee on top and bake it in a preheated oven at 175 degrees for 15-20 mins or until golden brown in colour.
- For garnish apply some honey on top and stick some chopped pistachios.
Try this Healthy Gujiya recipe and let us know how it turned out for you. We would love to hear from you.