Chilli Idli Recipe | Leftover Idli Recipe
Chilli idli is an amazing and interesting indochinese dish made with left over idlis. It's an interesting fusion snack or starter recipe. Sometimes idlis are deep fried before coating it into the sauces but i personally do not like to add those extra calories to mine, it is healthier this way and also tastes great.
Idlis are very popular breakfast in indian homes, but sometimes we got some leftover idli or want to try something different then this innovative recipe comes in mind. You can turn your leftover idlis into a lip-smacking snack. It is easy to prepare and liked by everyone, especially in the winters everyone likes this hot and spicy version of idli.
Go to Chilli Idli Video Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil.
- 1 tablespoon garlic finely chopped.
- ½ tablespoon ginger finely chopped.
- 1-2 green chilli finely chopped.
- 1 medium onion diced.
- ½ green and red bell pepper diced.
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce.
- 1-2 teaspoon chilli sauce.
- 1-2 tablespoon soya sauce.
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cornflour.
- 8-10 idlis cut into quarters.
- 2 tablespoon spring onion greens.
Cut idlis into quarters (4 pieces). I am using leftover idlis for making this recipe, if you are using fresh idlis, then refrigerate it for at least an hour to avoid breaking.
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies.
Fry it on high heat until garlic becomes golden at its edges.
Add chopped onions and bell peppers and fry for a minute on high heat. Do not over cook the veggies, ensure to retain the crunch.
Now add sauces-tomato sauce, red/green chili sauce and soy sauce. Mix everything well and fry for a min.
Now mix cornflour with water to make the slurry and add it to the pan stirring continuously.
Cook it for a minute. It will thicken the sauces.
Now add idlis and toss well.
Add spring onions and give it a quick stir.
Remove from heat and serve chili idlis hot. You can enjoy these as it is or with tomato ketchup or szechuan sauce.
- Make sure you cool the idlis in refrigerator to help them firm up as soft idlis tend to break easily.
- You can adjust the sauces as per your likings.
- You can also add some black pepper powder and vinegar, i skipped it as i was making for my kids.
- If you want crispy idlis you can dust some cornflour and stir fry idlis before adding it to the sauce. Some people even deep fry these.
- After adding idlis to the sauce do not cook it for long as it may turn soggy.
Chilli Idli Video Recipe:
Try this Easy Chilli Idli recipe and let us know how it turned out for you. We would love to hear from you.