Easy Non Fried Snack Recipe | Bhel Puri
Bhel Puri is a very popular Indian street food or snack and is so easy to make at home .Bhel Puri is a combination of puffed rice,sev,flat puris , peanuts and veggies which is mixed with spicy tangy and sweet chutneys to make this even more interesting.
Bhel is a low Calorie, nutritious, and delicious snack or chat packed with flavours and taste so delicious. This is a melody of textures and flavours.It can be a great starter for any party or get together.And is a really comfort food as there is hardly anything to cook .We just need some chopping and combine everything together.
Chopped tomatoes, onions, green chilli and coriander are essential to bring freshness to this mouth-watering Bhel. This is a versatile recipe, and you can adjust the ingredients as per your preference. You can add tortilla chips or even corn flakes instead of puris and replace potatoes with sweet potato or any other vegetables, can also try adding carrots, cucumbers.
This tasty appetiser is one of my favourite snack because it's healthy and nutritious and gets ready within 5 minutes .I usually keep the dry ingredients readily mixed to make it even more convenient and quicker .
This Bhel Puri is slightly different from the other version of bhel which is known as Jhal muri(popular in east India) as it contains tangy chutneys.This is a typical Bombay style Bhel.
So lets begin with the recipe…
- 3 cups puffed rice(murmura/muri)
- 1 cup namkeen or sev(fried gram flour noodles or vermicelli)
- 1 handful of roasted peanuts
- 6-7 flat puris(papri)or tortilla chips
- 2 potatoes boiled, peeled, and chopped into tiny cubes(1 cup)
- 1 large onion finely chopped(Preferably red or pink)
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ cup coriander/cilantro, finely chopped (approximately 50 grams)
- 2 chilies green, finely chopped
- 3-4 tbs Tamarind chutney (or to taste)
- 2-3 tbs Mint-coriander chutney(or to taste)
- 2-3 tbs lemon juice
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl mix together puffed rice sev, peanuts and roughly crushed papdis. Mix it well.
- Add boiled potatoes, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, green chilli and coriander .mix it well and your bhel mix is ready.
- in another bowl mix together tamarind chutney and mint chutney,chat masala, lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoon water if required and mix it well.
- combine the chutney mix to the prepared Bhel mix and serve immediately .
- I use pomegranate seeds to garnish, it which is optional you can even use some chopped tomatoes or green coriander(cilantro) or nylon sev.
- If your puffed rice are not crispy you can dry roast them in a pan to make them crisp and cool them completely before using.It also helps to get rid of any smell,if it has.
- In addition you can also add some fried channa dal.
- You can save your time by doing step one of the recipe in advance. It can be stored in an air tight container for up to one or 2 months and whenever you want to enjoy, can add the fresh ingredients .
- If you don't have flat puris you can roast or or fry the tortilla to make a quicker version.
- If you are making it for a party then go up to Step 3 and when you guest arrive then only combine the bhel and chutney mix and serve immediately .
- If your chutneys are not spicy enough you may need to add some salt and chili powder .
- If you like it more spicy you can also add chilli garlic chutney or chilli sauce to it .
Try this Bhel Puri recipe this Valentine and let us know how it turned out for you. We would love to hear from you.